Houzz Logo Print
michelleruddock

Flooring Dilemma

michelleruddock
vor 6 Jahren
I just puchased my first home. It is a BIG TIME fixer upper. It's a small townhome built in 1974. I'm going for a modern urban look.

Now here is my dilemma.... I'd like to rip out the ugly awful carpet in the upstairs hallways & bedrooms & to replace it.... but I'm completely baffled on what to replace it with. I cannot find an exact match in color with the laminate anywhere. I'm open to a different type of material, but how do I transition it smoothly from the stairs to the hallway to the bedrooms without it looking...OFF... & like a DIY nightmare.

I'm stumped. Please bombard me with your brilliant ideas & suggestions!

Kommentare (9)

• User
    vor 6 Jahren

Replace all of the hard flooring in the entire home to match. Or just go back with carpet.

• PRO
    Arrange Interior Design
    vor 6 Jahren

NO Carpet....its always just dirty. I agree with Sophie...hardwood or engineered hardwood.

• michelleruddock
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 6 Jahren
    I'm very reluctant to replace the laminate in the entire house that is there now. It was the only thing that the past owners had updated before I purchased the house... & they are actually really beautiful. I'm trying to find a Clever solution, where I get to keep the laminate there now. Also, I am open to trying a different material to transition into, however, carpets are not in as our best interest as we have dogs.
  • Kris Mays
    vor 6 Jahren

Tile would be your only other option. It can be affordable, but installation will cost you. I would replace all flooring with engineered wood if it were me.

• PRO
    JudyG Designs
    vor 6 Jahren
    Zuletzt geändert: vor 6 Jahren

Before you dismiss carpet, take a look at Stanton “Anywhere”. It is a great alternative for you. Comes in great patterns; has the appearance of sisal, but soft, and lots of colors to coordinate with your laminate...

We installed it around our pool four years ago. It has been in full sun, under lots of snow, rainstorms…looks brand new.

"DURABLE
    Royaltron™ polypropylene will resist signs of wear, with unique long-lasting fibers.

STAIN RESISTANT
    Royaltron™ polypropylene does not absorb moisture making spills and stains easily removable with normal cleaning agents.

COLOR FAST (UV STABILIZED )
    UV stabilized, solution-dyed yarn extrusion is not only safe for the environment, it protects the colors in your new carpet from fading and cleaning solvents. Will withstand cleaning with diluted bleach.

Anti-Static
    Carpets made from Royaltron™ polypropylene fibers are permanently anti-static. No more electric shocks.

Anti-Microbial
    Carpets made from Royaltron™ polypropylene fibers do not support the growth of mites or bacteria.

NON TOXIC/ENVIRONMENTALLY FRIENDLY
    All Royaltron™ fiber carpets are free of toxic elements. Because color is "melted in" during production of the fiber, it eliminates the traditional use of large quantities of water for dyeing, contributing to the preservation and the quality of our water."

http://www.stantoncarpet.com/ProductBrowse.aspx?SearchStr=anywhere

• PRO
    Arrange Interior Design
    vor 6 Jahren

Ok then try luxury vinyl tile which might transition from the vinyl. Just need the correct pattern. Also great for dogs and looks good. Reduces noise level.

• tasherr
    vor 6 Jahren
    Worth pointing out that carpeted stairs are much easier for dogs to navigate. I hate carpet too and on stairs it gets particularly nasty. But I have a 14 year old dog who's legs slide out from under him when he's standing still on hard wood. When I redid the floors in my vacation home earlier this year, I kept carpet on the stairs for that reason. I went with a striped Berber that blends with the LVT at both the top and bottom of the staircase.
  • michelleruddock
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 6 Jahren
    Thank you very much for your input everyone! it is much appreciated:)
    My budget is tight, so as of now replacing all the floors is not an option but I will definitely take all the other advice into consideration.
Deutschland
Mein Benutzererlebnis mit Cookies anpassen

Houzz nutzt Cookies und ähnliche Technologien, um Ihre Benutzererfahrung zu personalisieren, Ihnen relevante Inhalte bereitzustellen und die Produkte und Dienstleistungen zu verbessern. Indem Sie auf „Annehmen“ klicken, stimmen Sie dem zu. Erfahren Sie hierzu mehr in der Houzz Cookie-Richtlinie. Sie können nicht notwendige Cookies über „Alle ablehnen“ oder „Einstellungen verwalten“ ablehnen.